As a small business owner, it can feel as if there never is enough time in the day. The problem isn’t the number of hours as much as using the hours in a productive way. Here are eight tips for making the most of your working day.
- Do your toughest task first to get it out of the way. Once it’s off the todo list, you don’t have to procrastinate.
- Separate tasks into chunks of time. Spend 30 minutes answering emails all at once instead of breaking up your focus to answer them as they come in.
- Budget your time judiciously. Learn how long tasks should take. Use that information to plan for the next time you have to do it.
- Focus your efforts instead of multi-tasking. Not only does multi-tasking break up your focus, but it also cuts into your sense of accomplishment. Do one task at a time to do it well. Cross it off your to-do list and feel a sense of victory.
- Demand quality. Don’t micromanage. Let your team do their work without reviewing and revising all the time. Either they prove their worth or you deal with the workplace problem.
- Motivate your team. Offer benefits and rewards. Give your team a chance to learn new things. Recognize their accomplishments.
- Take breaks. Eat healthily. Refuel your mind. Refresh your body with a walk or exercise. Even microbreaks, a one-minute stretch every 10 minutes can increase your productivity by easing sore muscles and preventing fatigue.
- At the end of the day, make a list for tomorrow. Put all your thoughts down and leave it at the office. Enjoy your evening with your family and friends.
Prioritize your time by doing what makes the most sense based on what only you can do versus what can be outsourced to free up your time. Contact Third Bay Capital for financing options.